Disclaimer: I love tacos.
These citrus fish tacos are my [colorful and healthy] take on the traditional Southwestern classic dish. And if you are the least bit concerned, the multiple flavors do marry well into a pile of deliciousness. There is a slight sweetness from the corn tortilla, a spicy kick in the fish, lots of zest and citrus in the salsa, and a bit of saltiness with the chipotle sauce.
For the fish:
2 salmon filets
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp EVOO
For the salsa:
1 mango, diced
1 onion, diced
3 Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
1 Anaheim pepper, diced
1 lemon, juice squeezed
1 avocado, diced
Handful mint, chopped
For the tacos:
8-10 corn tortillas
Chipotle hot sauce [substitute with your choice]
Cotija cheese, crumbled [optional]
Fresh lime wedges [optional]
Prepare the fish:
1. Evenly rub the salmon filets with all of the dry spices and let sit for 20 minutes
2. Heat the 2 tbsp of EVOO in a square grill pan. When hot, add the fish [skin side down] and cook, flipping half way, until the fish is white and somewhat flaky, about 8-10 minutes
3. Once cooked, set aside in a plate and cut the filets in to long, thin strips.
Prepare the salsa:
1. Peel and dice the mango, onion, avocado, and tomatoes. Note: place the diced onions in a strainer and run water through it. Let dry.
2. Dice the bell pepper and Anaheim pepper.
3. Once the onion is dry, combine all diced ingredients in to a large bowl.
4. Add the juiced lemon and handful mint. Mix together in a bowl.
Prepare the taco:
1. Heat up the corn tortillas on a pan without any oil.
2. Layer your tacos with fish, salsa, chipotle sauce, and cheese. Serve with a slice of lime and your other favorite condiments!
Enjoy! And if you decide to recreate a version of this, or any future dishes, please send me pictures and let me know how it turned out! Don't forget to tag and hashtag @sobiasiddiqui and #modalacarte on IG