I know I know..Spring just came around and I'm already thinking about Summer, but in my defense, the weather in Southern California has been reflective of summertime. I really enjoy grilling vegetables this time of year. In fact, I always tell people grilling isn't just meant for meat; grilled vegetables are something that even carnivores will love!
Portabello mushrooms are one of my favorite veggies to grill. The dense texture holds up really well on the grill and makes for a great burger option for vegetarians. Yesterday I made portabello mushrooms with tomato and mozzarella- simple and delicious!
4 Portabello mushrooms, stemmed
4 tbsp EVOO, +1 tbsp EVOO for filling
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup basil, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Brush the grill (indoor or outdoor) with olive oil and switch the heat to medium
2. Drizzle 4 tbsp of EVOO to coat both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle both sides of the mushrooms with salt and pepper
3. Grill mushrooms for 7 minutes on each side
4. In a separate prepare the filling: add remaining EVOO, minced garlic, chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, and shredded mozzarella. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
5. Place grilled mushrooms on serving dish and top with filling.
Enjoy! And if you decide to recreate a version of this, or any future dishes, please send me pictures and let me know how it turned out! Don't forget to tag and hashtag @sobiasiddiqui and #modalacarte on IG