Most people assume that eating nuts is a no-no. Nuts, including pistachios, can easily be part of a healthy lifestyle that involves physical activity along with a balanced diet. In general, nuts are packed with protein, fiber, minerals, and healthy fats.
In any case, these doughnuts have an ultra moist batter (containing pistachios), and are finished off with some more chopped pistachios and a dust of sea salt for that addictive, sweet-salty finish you know you can't resist.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup raw pistachios, finely chopped (divided in half)
2 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and browned (divided in half)
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract (divided in half)
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray doughnut pan with baking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a half cup of the finely chopped pistachios. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp of browned butter, and 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Whisk well. Note: to melt and brown the butter, let it sit in a saucepan on low heat for 7-8 minutes, or until the butter begins to smell nutty (like toffee) and change hues.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together in one bowl. Stir until just combined and smooth.
5. Spoon the batter into the doughnut molds. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges. Allow to fully cool before topping.
6. To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar, the remaining 2 tbsp of browned butter, 2 tbsp of milk, and remaining 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Whisk until a thick, spreadable glaze is formed.
7. Once the doughnuts are completely cool, generously spoon the glaze over the tops of the doughnuts and then sprinkle with remaining pistachios. For an added touch of fancy, lightly dust sea salt over doughnuts.
Enjoy! And if you decide to recreate a version of this, or any future dishes, please send me pictures and let me know how it turned out! Don't forget to tag and hashtag @sobiasiddiqui and #modalacarte on IG.